APC-R Support Center
In this section you will find all the latest downloads, compatibility notes and information that will help you use the APC-R.
Watch the Full Tutorial to Get Started!
Already have an APC-R ? Or you just want to take an in-depth look at how it's setup ?
Click on the play button below to learn how to use the Middle Things APC-R
Here is the list of the camera, switchers, gimbals, and settings that you can control remotely with the APC-R.
Which Gimbals ?
The APC-R can control the following gimbals :
- DJI Ronin-S*
- DJI Ronin-RS2*
- DJI Ronin-SC *
- DJI Ronin-2
*The small DJI Focus Wheel is required for Ronin-S / SC / RS2 since the APC connects to the S-BUS / CANBUS connexion port of the Focus Wheel (sold separately by DJI)
The DJI RSC2 is not, and will never be supported since it has no DJI Focus Wheel connector.
The DJI RS2 is the only gimbal that supports the following features : Save & Recall Position Presets, DJI Focus Motor Control. The other gimbals can still be controlled using the S-BUS port on the APC-R using the same cable, but you will not have access to these 2 features, only supported through CanBUS.
You can control the Pan & Tilt movement of the gimbal using the ATEM Advanced Panel 1 M/E , 2 M/E or 4 M/E, or with any supported USB joystick using the Middle Control software.
While it is also possible to use the thumb wheel of the ATEM Television Studio Pro HD or 4K to adjust your gimbal Pan / Tilt , we do not recommend it, it is not very practical and doesn't work well.
Which Cameras ?
The APC-R can control the following Blackmagic Cameras using Bluetooth :
- Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
- Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K*
- Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K Pro*
- Blackmagic Ursa Broadcast
- Blackmagic Ursa Mini Pro*
- Blackmagic Ursa Mini Pro G2*
If you have an ATEM Switcher, you can also control the cameras below with Middle Control. They don't have a bluetooth chip but that can receive ATEM instructions through SDI (and our Middle Control software also sends the bluetooth control information to the ATEM).
- Blackmagic Micro Studio 4K (through SDI ATEM connection)
- Blackmagic Studio Camera 4K Pro (through SDI or HDMI ATEM connection)
- Blackmagic Studio Camera 4K Plus (through SDI or HDMI ATEM connection)
If you need to control multiple cameras, you will need to use one APC-R per camera.
* FOCUS LIMITATION : Due to the nature of the EF Lens Mount, which only transmits relative focus position of the lens motor, you cannot save the current focus value in the APC-R presets since we cannot read & record the focus status. But you can still save the zoom value in the presets with a DJI RS2 focus motor. Also, you can control the focus of the camera remotely, but only using + / - buttons in the Middle Control app or using ATEM Software. You can't map a joystick axis to the Focus value.
Which Switchers ?
An ATEM Switcher is not required to use the APC-R.It will only be necessary if :
- You want to use Blackmagic's ATEM Software Control to control camera settings wirelessly or through Ethernet using the APC-R
- You want to save camera presets (Iris / ISO / White Balance / Focus) in addition to gimbal presets (Pan / Tilt / Roll / Zoom)
The APC-R is compatible with the majority of Blackmagic Design ATEM Switchers. These are :
- ATEM Mini / Mini Pro / Extreme (& ISO)
- ATEM Television Studio HD
- ATEM Television Studio Pro HD
- ATEM Television Studio Pro 4K
- ATEM Production Studio 4K
- ATEM 1M/E & 2M/E Production Studio 4K
- ATEM 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K
- ATEM Constellation 8K
We strongly recommend to use a router with your ATEM. Then, the ATEM connects to your router using Ethernet, and your APC-R connects to your router using Ethernet or Wi-Fi.
Middle Control Software should work with any USB gamepad controller, but the following USB joysticks have been tested and confirmed working :
- Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus Edition (read this)
- Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant Airbus Edition (read this)
- Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X
- Thrustmaster USB Joystick
- Microsoft Xbox One Wireless Controller V2
- Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
- Logitech Gamepad F310S
- THE G-LAB K-PAD THORIUM
As well as :
- ATEM Advanced Panel 1M/E
You can connect up to 4 simultaneous joysticks.
Which Settings ?
When used with compatible ATEM Switchers and Cameras, the APC-R can adjust the following settings remotely through Bluetooth : iris, rec start / stop, shutter, gain (ISO), white balance, zoom (with compatible lenses), focus (with compatible lenses), pan & tilt (with compatible gimbals), contrast, saturation, hue, lift, gamma, gain, detail sharpening, false colors, status overlay, autofocus.
Important note : Tally information (Red On Air, Green Preview) is not shown on the camera, unless you connect the camera to an ATEM Mini using HDMI, or to any ATEM using the SDI Bidirectional Converter 3G.
Payments & Shipping
Where are you from and where do you ship ?
Our company is in France (Europe) and we ship internationally using DHL or Fedex.
What payment methods are supported ?
You can pay securely using your credit card (Stripe) , Paypal, Wire Transfer, or through Apple Pay.
Can I cancel my pre-order ?
Yes! Anytime, just send us an email, and as long as it's not shipped we'll cancel it and refund the full amount.
Can I cancel my order ?
- -If it's not shipped yet : send us an email and we will cancel and refund you ASAP.
-If it is already shipped : send us an email and we will give you return instructions : you can send it back within 30 calendar days after reception. It must be in good condition, ready for resale. Then we will refund you with the full amount paid. You only have to pay for return shipping.
Will I have to pay customs taxes and duties ?
Orders are shipped from our warehouse in Europe. International orders may be subject to customs duties, taxes, and fees required for the shipment’s entry into the destination country.
Customs, duties and taxes vary from country to country and are out of our control. Import taxes are not included in the cost of shipping or handling your order.
Is the APC-R compatible with my setup ?
Scroll above, in the Compatibility section you can see which switchers, gimbals and cameras are compatible with the APC.
What is the APC-R Power Consumption ?
Max current is 100mA (0.5W).
How can I power the APC-R ?
The APC-R can take power directly from the gimbal through the included gimbal cable. So no power cable required! However if you are using the APC-R only with a Blackmagic Pocket Camera (no gimbal), you can power it using the micro USB port of the APC-R, that you can connect to the USB-C port of the pocket camera.
What is the Bluetooth Range ?
You should avoid leaving the APC-R more than 1.5 meters (5 feet) away from the camera. Range can go further but response will loose in smoothness. You should leave the APC-R as close as possible to the camera at all times. If you need to operate wirelessly, we recommend you connect your APC-R to your router using Wi-Fi. In that way, you can control the range depending on the power of your router.
Can I use one single APC-R to control multiple cameras ?
No, with one APC-R you can only control one camera and one gimbal. You need to use multiple APC-R units, one paired to each camera.
Is there a lot of latency ?
When using Ethernet, latency is minimal and isn't generally any issue, unless you use many switches and a complicated network. The latency is higher when using Wi-Fi, and it is not recommended to control the gimbal over Wi-Fi but it is usable for Camera Control (iris / focus / WB / color correction...)
Can I save position presets ?
Yes! You can save position presets (pan/tilt/roll/zoom) with the APC-R if you are connected to a DJI RS2 using the CANBUS port. You can also save camera presets (Iris / ISO / White Balance) if you connect Middle Control Software to an ATEM.
Within each preset you can save the lens internal focus if you use a Blackmagic camera that has an MFT mount.
What equipment is required to use the APC-R ?
Apart from your camera and a compatible gimbal (DJI RS2 recommended), there are two DJI accessories that are required :
- The DJI Focus Wheel : this small addon is attached to the side of the gimbal and allows for external control of the gimbal using CANBUS
- The DJI Focus Motor : if you plan to control Zoom with the RS2
Also, you can read our recommended optional accessories here
Why control the camera over Bluetooth rather than through the HDMI connection of the camera ?
The control is smoother using Bluetooth than through HDMI. It's also the only possible way of doing a fully wireless setup. Other than that, the two are very similar.
Can I use the ATEM Advanced Panel 1/ME to control pan/tilt ?
Yes, that is possible.
Can I use DJI Active Track and APC-R at the same time ?
Yes! Even better, you can turn on / off Active Track remotely using Middle Control. Just frame your subject in the center of the frame, press Active Track and you're done. You can also map it to a joystick button.
Is an ATEM switcher required to use the APC-R ?
An ATEM switcher is not required, please see above section "Which Switchers ?" in compatibility to see the added features offered by connecting the Middle Control Software to an ATEM.
Can I use the DJI Focus Motor to control the zoom of my lens using the APC-R?
Yes, if you have a DJI RS2 and a DJI Focus motor. You can for example control the Zoom with the DJI Focus Motor, and the focus using the lens's internal focus motor if you have a supported Blackmagic Camera.
Can I control 2 different DJI Focus Motors, one for Zoom and one for Focus ?
The DJI SDK does not allow us to control more than one motor. So you can only control one DJI Focus motor and it can only be used for Zoom. We recommend controlling focus using the built-il lens motor.
Is the gimbal connexion cable included ?
Yes, the APC-R ships with a 50cm and a 200cm 4-Pin gimbal connexion cable.
What motorized Focus lenses do you recommend ?
For the Blackmagic Pocket 4K, here are some lenses we recommend , for which you can control Iris and Focus remotely.
What motorized Zoom & Focus lenses can I use ?
You can use a fully motorized (Zoom + Focus + Iris ) lens if you want. If you need both Zoom AND Focus lenses, here are the options for Pocket 4K (MFT) :
- Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6
- Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm f/4.0-5.6
- Olympus 12-50mm M.Zuiko f/3.5-6.3 ED EZ
- Olympus 14-42mm M.Zuiko f/3.5-5.6 ED EZ
And for Pocket 6K (EF) :
- Canon CN-E 70-200 T4.4
- Canon CN-E 18-80 T4.4
Does the APC-R transmit the 1080p video signal wirelessly as well ?
No, you have to use a separate device for this. You can of course use a Wireless Video system that carries LAN information in addition to HDMI or SDI. This way you will have full two way communication using the same wireless device. Such as the Hollyland SYSCOM 421
Can I use both the Blackmagic Camera Control both from the ATEM Mini (through HDMI) and the APC-R (through Bluetooth) simultaneously ?
Yes ! Also works with the Blackmagic 3G Bidirectional Converters.
Can I use the APC-R with Bitfocus Companion?
Sure ! You can control our software (Middle Control) using a streamdeck and Companion. Read this article for more info.
Do you have an SDK / API ?
Yes, you can control Middle Control software with your own software or hardware through UDP commands. Read this article for more info.
Do you have a reseller program ?
Contact us at [email protected], and we'll get back to you shortly.
Where can I buy the APC-R ?
You can either purchase on our website or through our authorized resellers .
Do you have resellers / distributors ?
Please check out the reseller map at middlethings.co/resellers
Here you will find the lastest firmware updates and apps that the APC-R supports. A Mac desktop app is currently in development.
iOS iPhone app
In order to pair the APC-R to your BMPCC,you have to use the Middle Setup iOS app on the Apple App Store here or by scanning the QR Code below.
Not yet available.
Don't have a DJI RS2 ? Read the Gimbal Setup guide!
If you have a DJI RS2, just connect your APC-R to the DJI Focus Wheel, set it to CANBUS, and you're ready to go !
If you have an older Ronin-S / SC or Ronin 2, learn how to set up your APC / APC-R from start to finish with the following guide.LEGACY GimbalS SETUP guide
Troubleshooting & Guides
Having a hard time with your APC-R ? Here is a list of possible issues, that we will update over time.
- My APC-R does not show up in the Status page of Middle Control Software
- The APC-R shows up in the Status but I have no control over Gimbal or Camera.
- I cannot get the DJI RS2 Focus Motor to work with the APC-R
- Saving & Recalling Presets does not work properly
- Installing Middle Control Desktop Software returns an error
- Middle Control crashes on launch / doesn't launch
- My APC-R doesn't show up in the iPhone app
- My camera doesn't show up in the camera list of my APC-R on the iPhone app
- I cannot pair my camera to the APC-R
- My camera is paired, but adjusting settings on the ATEM Software has no effect on the camera.
You can also check out some guides we put together :
- - Top 3 Micro Four Thirds Lenses for Live Production
- - Top 5 Equipment & Accessories to use with your APC-R
- - How To Control Middle Control using Bitfocus Companion / Streamdeck
- - How to Control Blackmagic Cameras Wirelessly with ATEM Software Control
- - Turn your DJI gimbal in a PTZ head for the Blackmagic Micro Studio 4K Camera
- - How to Use the Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick & Quadrant with Middle Control
Can't find the answer you are looking for ? Feel free to live chat with us at the bottom right of the screen or shoot us an email at [email protected]
Using Middle Control with Bitfocus Companion
If you have StreamDeck devices and BitFocus Companion, you can trigger actions in our Middle Control software, such as launching presets , moving the gimbal, rec start/stop, autofocus, color bars, camera ID selection....FULL COMPANION GUIDE